Friday 9 September 2016

A BIT OF GRUMPING

It is my job you know


Thames Path looking West
A while ago, I commented on the fact that whoever is responsible for the maintenance of the Thames Path behind the Crossness Pumping Station isn't doing their job and that plant life is taking over, exploiting the cracks in the path and turning it into a jungle. Most of this stuff is Buddleia (an invasive species, imported into Britain in the 18th century) and is known to cause problems if it isn't dealt with promptly. The roots can undermine foundations, dig into walls, and cause general damage to whatever structure it is growing out of.

Thames Path looking East
Since then, it has grown so much that you can now no longer use the footpath at all, it's completely blocked by Buddleia shrubs and pedestrians have to stray onto the cycle path to get past.

I don't know who is actually responsible for this bit of the Thames Path, it could be one of several organisations although I suspect it belongs to Thames Water. Anyway, it's not going to be long now before they have to close it all off while they carry out some very expensive repairs to the foundations. Still, it's better than paying someone to come along with a can of weed killer and deal with it straight away.


ON THE RIVER


My stroll along the river wasn't all grumpy, there were other things going on as well. Here are a few pictures I took.


This is the Princess Pocahontas, a small cruise ship that travels up and down the Thames past our garden. We always know when it's going past as the PA system is quite loud. I've learned quite a lot about the history of London and the Thames riverbank from listening to the commentary as the ship sails by.


The Police were looking very busy, I'm not sure what they were doing but I feel much safer just knowing they were doing it.


As this was approaching from a distance, the orange colour first made me think of the Lifeboat service but now I'm not so sure. It does look very official though.


Here is a Herring Gull flying over, unless it's a Great Black-backed Gull; I can't be sure. 



Don't know what these are either. Even experts have trouble telling the juveniles apart. Are they Herring Gulls or Great Black-backed Gulls? Who knows? Not me.


THE INVASION OF SOUTHMERE LAKE


While I was at the Crossness hide, someone told me about some Egyptian Geese that had arrived at Southmere Lake. I thought I would go along and take a look. Invasion is the right word because I counted thirteen of them and there may have been more.

There has been a breeding pair at Danson Lake for a few years and you get the odd one or two turning up at Crossness from time to time. But thirteen? That's just being silly. Anyway, here are a few pictures I took of them plus some of the other wildlife on and around the lake.


Pond full of Egyptian Geese. There are thirteen in this group in the water to the left of the bridge when you enter the park from Belvedere Road.


Egyptian Goose


Egyptian Goose


Canada Goose


Canada Goose


This looks like A Canada/Greylag Goose hybrid which you do get occasionally


Greylag Goose


Mute Swan


More Mute Swans


Great Crested Grebe


Coot


Domestic Farmyard Goose


This I believe is the West Country breed of Domestic Goose.
I wonder how it got to Thamesmead.


Grey Heron


Spotted Something


Gotcha!


Cormorant having a preen


No comments:

Post a Comment